When it comes to the flu, you call the shots
You have the best interest of your patients at heart. More than that, you have their trust. Your recommendation is the most effective way to ensure they get their flu shot.
Approximately 14% of Sunshine Health members got vaccinated in 2019-2020, but more than 90% of patients are likely to get the flu shot when their provider recommends it —including those who had initial doubts.
When talking with your patients:
- Make a strong recommendation to your patients to get their flu shot. Research shows patients are more likely to get a flu shot if their doctor recommends it.
- You can use the SHARE method to provide information:
- SHARE reasons to get the flu shot based on their age or other risk factors.
- HIGHLIGHT positive experiences with the flu shot to reinforce benefits.
- ADDRESS concerns about the vaccine, including effectiveness, side effects, safety and misconceptions. Patients are less likely to push back than you may think.
- REMIND patients that the flu shot not only protects them but also everyone around them.
- EXPLAIN that getting the flu can mean taking sick days from work or missing fun with family and friends.
Follow-up is important! If your patient did not get the flu shot during their visit, there’s a chance they won’t get it at all. Talk to your patients about where and when they’ll get their flu shot and confirm they did so during their next visit.
If they still have not gotten their shot, talk with them again if they have any questions or concerns — and be sure to repeat your strong recommendation. Most people know the flu shot is important. They may just need your reminder!
Flu prevention is a win-win
There are many advantages to promoting flu prevention:
- Healthier patients
- Decreased severity of illness for those who do get sick
- Reduced community spread
- More satisfied patients help you achieve your practice’s quality goals.
We’ve got your back
You have a key role to play in recommending your patients get the flu shot, and Sunshine Health is here to help.
Our Flu Prevention Campaign encourages people to get their flu shot. Flyers are available in English and Spanish for a range of patients, including pregnant women, new moms, individuals with chronic conditions and older adults. If you would like copies to share with your patients, please contact your Provider Engagement Administrator.
Remember, you can help stop the flu. Strongly recommend to all your patients that they get their annual flu shot
Sunshine Health is here to support you and your practice. If you have any questions about flu prevention, patient education tools or incentives, contact your Provider Engagement Administrator, call us at 1-844-477-8313 or visit the Secure Provider Portal.
Adults and eligible children can get both their flu shot and the COVID-19 vaccine at the same time, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention — but don’t delay one to wait for the other. The CDC recommends that everyone ages 5 and up get the latest COVID-19 vaccine.