Your Healthy Transition to Independent Living
As a teen preparing to transition out of foster care, we know you may face many obstacles on your way to adulthood. We are here to help. In Florida, young adults in extended foster care can get healthcare coverage from Sunshine Health’s Child Welfare Specialty Plan until age 21. This program is designed especially for you.
Our Transitioning Youth Program Covers:
- Over-the-Counter medication/supplies to help with personal hygiene, sexual health, first aid and more with a $25 monthly allowance. For a list of items, check out SunshineHealth.com/CW-Pharmacy.
- Round-trip transportation three times a month to social activities and places like work, post-secondary school and more.
- Things like paying your cellphone bill, rent and more though our member rewards program, MyHealthPays®.
- Up to $500 in services and items such as rental deposits, utility services or household supplies through our one-time Transition Assistance expanded benefit.
Frequently Asked Questions
When you turn 17, Sunshine Health will work closely with you and your Community Based Care lead agency on your transition plan to make sure you have the services and supports you need.
Here are some questions you might have:
- Use our Find a Provider tool, or download a directory.
- You can also call Member Services at 1-855-463-4100. (TTY 1-800-955-8770).
Call Member Services at 1-855-463-4100 (TTY 1-800-955-8770).
Our 24-7 Nurse Advice Line can answer this and many of your other health or benefit questions.
Call 1-855-463-4100 (TTY 1-800-955-8770) and follow the prompts.
Yes! Call Member Services at 1-855-463-4100 (TTY 1-800-955-8770) and ask for a case manager. You may already have someone assigned. If you have a diagnosis that requires ongoing treatment, we will assign you a care manager who can guide you through managing your condition.
Our $150 per year care grant can help you pay for physical, social or educational activities like gym memberships, GED fees or activity-related uniforms and equipment. Email email@example.com.